Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 19:29:29 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>, Alan Batie <batie@agora.rdrop.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Netscape: Linux a top priority (news.com article)

Does this really belong on -hackers (no, Matt, I'm not picking on you,
but the volume is increasing).  I'm following up to -chat, anyway.

On Fri, 10 April 1998 at  4:19:27 -0500, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Alan Batie wrote:
>
>> Just add a bit more to the general Linux indignation running around here,
>> check out yesterday's Linux piece on NPR at
>>
>>     http://www.npr.org/news/tech/
>>
>> (Real Audio needed)
> OK, this is moving *ME* off my lazy @$$.  And that's a job of moving.
> Last time I moved, it was in January of '97 to put a 100 meg partition for
> FreeBSD-2.1.6.  Here's a letter I just sent off to NPR.  Apologies in
> advance for toes stepped on/liberties taken/stupid things said.
>
> I am gratified to hear the positive mention of free OS's in your show.
> It's been a long time since any large entity so respected as NPR showed
> such an alternative to expensive, commercial operating systems in such a
> good light.  I commend you for this and implore you to continue; there is
> much more information that could be covered in a longer segment in the
> future.
>
> Additionally, there is a point I'd like to bring forward here.  Linux IS a
> very nice operating system, but, as with any software, it cannot be all
> things to all people.  My choice for the systems I administer is
> FreeBSD.

This is all nice stuff, but IMO you're not paying enough attention to
the viewpoint of the general public.

I think the best we can say is something like:

  The Linux phenomenon is all the more astounding because it's not
  alone.  It's just the best-known of a number of free operating
  systems for PCs, including three genuine UNIX derivatives (FreeBSD,
  NetBSD and OpenBSD) and the GNU hurd.  Each has its claims to fame.
  Linux was able to overtake the UNIX derivatives due to litigation by
  the owners of UNIX against the BSD development teams in the time
  frame 1992-1994.

I'm not going to send any mail myself.  If anybody wants to use
anything I've said, they're welcome.  If you want to mention me by
name, please pass it past me first.

Greg