Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2002 21:10:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: usermount with devfs

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Lars Eggert wrote:

> So there is no more usermount under -current with devfs? Or is there
> another way to have the symlinks be created with the different
> permissions (since devfs rules don't seem to apply to them)?

We used usermounts with devfs in our last TrustedBSD demo to our sponsor.
In the demo, we manually manage the protections on the CD device -- since
it doesn't disappear when the CD is inserted and removed, just when the
device goes away, it works fairly well.  We can also set protections at
login for users as part of fbtab.  I know that Warner's devd is more
targetted at support newbus and device driver binding, but there was also
(at one point) discussion of a devfsd that responded to device events.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories