Date:      Sat, 3 Sep 2005 11:40:15 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux directory hier

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:13:31 +0400
Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru> wrote:

> The case with acroread7 was really in incorrect plist file at
> emulation/linux_base-8 port. Plist is dynamic and doesn't use @unexec
> command when uninstallig. Hehce we have errors at non-empty
> directories (ie /compat/linux/share/locale) where third party
> programms write files.

Now that I had some time to look at this more closely: The right fix
for the acroread7 port would be to install into PREFIX (be it LOCALBASE
or X11BASE doesn't matter ATM) instead into LINUXBASE. The goal is to
only install "support files" like libs and linux_base stuff into
LINUXBASE and every application which an user wants to run (like
acroread, a game, Oracle or something else) into the appropriate PREFIX
(LOCALBASE or X11BASE).

> The task is to create a static plist for emulation/linux_base-8
> port. Now I should decide which directories are used only by
> linux_base port and which may be used by other programms. Seems to me

As long as the dependency is correctly registered, one shouldn't
remove the dependency. If he removes it, it's ok to get errors (e.g.
from dirrm). The only big no-no is to overwrite existing files. If this
is the case we have to find the right solution (somethimes we have to
allow such behavior -- like with ld.so.cache -- and look how to solve
this cleanly).

The acroread port is not a good example how to do a linux port. It
generates a plist at install time, it isn't PREFIX clean, and it plays
tricks in the plist (setting the cwd). All of this isn't necessary and
could be done cleanly.

The existing acroread port works for most people and your @unexec patch
for linux_base-8 is ok to silence the warnings you see. I'm willing to
commit the fix in case you don't want to do the work to fixup the
acroread port. Technically this isn't the right fix, but from a
pragmatic (and political) point of view I'm willing to do it.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
     teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.