Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 12:46:11 -0500
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        slava <sl@zeus.dnt.md>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd router with 4mb RAM and two eth.

On Wed, 12 May 1999, slava wrote:
> I killed cron and syslogd on that machine and I keep only inetd
> for telnet. I also have DUMMYNET compiled into the kernel.
> I shape the bandwidth for traffic going out to the LAN to 64Kbit/s.
> With this configuration the router works ok for a few hours, i can
> telnet to it. After some time when I try to telnet again to it
> it won't give me a login promt and would stop forwarding the packets
> between interfaces at the same moment. It looks like it suffocates.
> I can still ping the external ethernet card though. Only a cold reboot
> can bring it back to life.
>
> I guess I will have to try a kernel without dummynet. Could it be because
> of the dummynet not being able to work on 4mb RAM?

Apologies for entering the conversation mid-stream, but are you using 3Com
3C509 Ethernet cards (using the ep driver)?  I have an occasional problem
with one of these going mute on a firewall under heavy load.

Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Ames Laboratory       ---         ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer