Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 2008 22:20:35 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Ivo Karabojkov <karabojkov@kit-bg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changing architecture from i386 to amd64

--K8nIJk4ghYZn606h

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 10:55:30PM +0300, Ivo Karabojkov wrote:
> Hi!
>=20
> I have machine working with i386 version of FreeBSD 7.0 Release (after=20
> several source updates from 6.0 during the years). Is it possible to=20
> re-build kernel and "world" with another architecture, in my case
> AMD64?=20

Yes, but you'll need to have a seperate partition to install them to.
Don't do this if you don't know what you're doing.

> I hope to be able to "switch" my architecture without re-installing=20
> FreeBSD with AMD64.

You do realize that you have to recompile/reinstall your ports/packages
to take advantage of the amd64 features? That is a _lot_ more work than
reinstalling the base system! So reinstalling the base system should not
worry you.=20

Before you switch you should check that all ports that you need are
available on amd64. If you look into the port makefile and see
ONLY_FOR_ARCHS=3Di386, it won't work on amd64! Examples are the flash
plugin for firefox and the binary nVidia driver for Xorg.

The best advice I can give you is:
- make backups of all your data (especially configuration files)
- delete all ports
- reinstall amd64
- rebuild the ports that you need.

Roland