Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 12:58:21 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Bosco Tsang <bosco@ipoline.com>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Auto Boot from third hard disk

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Bosco Tsang wrote:

> Hi Doug
>
> At 11:00 AM 8/13/97 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >If you've installed, not upgraded, FreeBSD in the 2.2.x series.
>
> Just check and find that our version, coming from Walnet Creek CD-Rom, is
> 2.1. Is boot.config still working? If yes, where should I place the
> boot.config?

2.1 is OLD and didn't have boot.config.

> If no, what else can I do? Or can I do some upgrade without reinstalling
> the whole FreeBSD, as it's one of our busy servers.

You may want to patch the boot code (not a pleasant hack, unless you're
into this sort of things) or update your OS version. For the latter,
there are two options:

1. Update via sysinstall, meaning you make a boot floppy of a newer
release or snapshot and use it to upgrade. You can use any of the
supported install method for that, and you'll have to do some manual
editing of the config files in /etc as they've changed greatly since 2.1
days.

2. Update from sources. There's a tutorial in the web site about this, so
consult it for details.

> Thanks and regards,
>
> Bosco Tsang
> InterPacific Online