Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2006 12:07:42 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   MIME and mailcap

--==========EC854131E557BE78C354==========

I'm trying to understand the use of mailcap for MIME translation within a=20
mail client.  I installed mail/metamail, which created a .mailcap file in=20
my home directory.  That file appears to be a copy of the run-mailcap=20
script.  But what does it do?  It seems like it does nothing.

What I'm trying to do is get the mail client to open an image viewer when I =

double-click on a jpeg attachment.  The mail client is designed to source=20
the mailcap file from /etc/, /usr/local/etc/ and from ~/.mailcap.

What am I missing here?  What's the best/proper way to do this?

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/