Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 00:02:13 CDT
From:      Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>
To:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
Cc:        Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What has happened to FreeBSD?

In message <19990504003619.N73741@001101.zer0.org>, Gregory Sutter writes:
>On Mon, May 03, 1999 at 07:55:40PM -0500, Kent Vander Velden wrote:
>>
>>   Lately (over the past few months) I have been having numerous
>> problems with FreeBSD.  Well, actually only a single problem that is
>> the machine (dual pentium 133) crashes very often.  In hope of finding
>> a stable release of -STABLE (yes, my "-stable" machine is lucky to last
>> a day before a reboot) I have been running cvsup and building and
>> installing a new kernel at least once a week.  Please note that also

  The serious problem of not being able to boot the system after updating the
loader stuff is now fixed.  The problem was that I had not copied the first
512 bytes from the FreeBSD partition to a file in the NT partition.  This file
is then used by the NT boot manager.  After being stung by this problem twice
hopefully I will not forget to do this again.

  After updating the kernel sources I am going to install a new kernel
and hope that the machine remains stable.  If it crashes, hopefully the kernel
will drop to DDB.

  Thanks.

---
Kent Vander Velden