Date:      Sun, 05 Nov 2000 19:30:41 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>, Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dog bite?

Gary Kline wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 01:29:43PM -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:
> >

> > Gary Kline wrote:

> > >         It isn't clear what's causing these troubles, but overnight I
> > >         installed the latest gcc.   Then carefully deleted the libj*
> > >         code_crusader libraries.  Following is the output from doing
> > >         a fresh ``make install'' of libjtree.
> >
> > I had the "cd: can't cd to ACE/ACE_wrappers" problem when I didn't use the
> > CodeCrusader port to build everything. You also need to make clean so that it
> > does a config first.
> >

>         Hm.  I've done make make cleans and deinstalls and pkg_deletes.
>         I've also done by-hand mkdirs -p (&c) only to bump into more
>         build problems further on.   Maybe this port needs to come with
>         red flags!

I have no doubt about that comment. There aren't a lot of choices. Kdevelop
won't work with KDE-2 and everything else has a cost. I found Code_Forge to be
really good. At least the parts I used work the way I was used to doing things.

FWIW, I just got finished doing a make clean in /usr/ports/devel/codecrusader
and then did a make, pkg_delete, and make install. The resulting install works.
The by-hands don't help unless you set all of the environmental variables each
needs. That is where the links are setup. A good clue is whether the
ACE/ACE_wrappers cd's work. There are always complaints about them but some are
more important than others. I tried the by-hand route and then got a list of
each sub-port and pkg_deleted each. I don't remember now but I may have done a
make clean for each one of them. Then, I cd'ed to codecrusader and started the
make. When I came back in the morning, a make install worked.

The real solution is to separate all of the ACE stuff out of CodeCrusader. There
are configuration problems doing that right now. Some of the stuff I found that
made it work sometime ago have come back to bite me. I know where things get
setup in the port but I haven't successfully followed the make to see why my
changes aren't making it into the config_freebsd section. I have a cvs copy of
ACE on two of my systems and an interest to see ACE_ROOT directed to my full
blown ACE system.

In my can_of_worms scale of 0-10, Crusader ranks a 9 and KDE-2 a 10-11+. When I
first saw it, it was all in one directory .../work/JX-1.5.3. I thought it was
something only a graduate student could setup because an employee would have
been fired for doing something like that. Splitting it out like it is now helps
but it is a real "Hydra" and you always seem to PO one of the heads :). The
makefile in codecrusader is the only place where all of the environmentals are
setup properly for you. In a similar fashion, I find that making KDE-2 only
really works if you build and install it from the .../kde2/ directory. There
seems to be at least a 2x difference in build times with KDE requiring the
longest time.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart