Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:00:45 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Time drift: hardware or software?

I'm running 3.1-STABLE with a user-ppp connection to the Internet, and I'm
running ftpdate from cron every two hours. While I don't get 'calcru minus
time' errors, my system clock drifts something fierce--about -110 seconds
per hour.

Is this hardware related, or is FreeBSD's time counter really off? Can I do
anything about it?

Dmesg reports that my Pentium-90 processor is running at 87.5 MHz (sometimes
88.something MHz). My system is an old Dell Dimension P90. The Dell web site
says this system has no backup battery, so it's not a bad battery problem.

I'd love to run xntpd all the time to keep synch'd, but I fear my ISP would
freak if I kept a permanent connection active.

Any advice is welcome. TIA.

--Dan