Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2011 22:31:43 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Bahman Kahinpour <bahman.linux@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Instructions on Installing HP LaserJet P1102 on FreeBSD 8 (solved)

Allow me a little sidenote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 00:48:31 +0330, Bahman Kahinpour <bahman.linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>  ** PART THREE: Install FOO2ZJS from FOO2ZJS.RKKDA.COM **
>
> foo2zjs in the Ports Collection is a little old and it does not work
> with HP LaserJet P1102. (Checked Jan 29,2011) Go to foo2zjs.rkkda.com
> and download http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/foo2zjs.tar.gz.
>
> # cd ~

The ~ is not needed. The command "cd" without any
parameters will bring you to your home directory.
For more typing, use "cd $HOME". :-)

And of course:

> The printer has a built-in fake CD-ROM feature which prevents it from
> working correctly on non-Windows PCs. Once it is connected to a
> Windows PC, a CD-ROM appears containing Windows drivers. In order for
> HP LaserJet P1102 to work correctly on a FreeBSD PC, you must disable
> this feature.

Correct: You must work around this bug (it's not a feature). :-)

> 1.Connect the printer to a Windows PC. (Unfortunately you have to
> connect it to a Windows PC which is too bad.)

This would be reason enough for me to kick the thing out
of the window. :-)

> 2.Insert the original driver CD. (The physical CD-ROM that ships with
> the product, NOT THIS FAKE CD-ROM).
> 3.Run SIUtility.exe or SIUtility64.exe from UTIL folder to disable
> this fake CD feature. (It's called “HP Smart Install”

Yeah, very smart. Deliver incompatible (defective!) stuff and
require a proprietary program for an obscure OS imitation to
fix the thing... refer to "kick out of the window" for further
proceeding. :-)

> Plug out your printer and plug it in again. (In order for the
> permission in the devfs to be correct. They should be writable for the
> printer nodes in the /dev)

A more technical note, or question: If I remember correctly,
CUPS introduces a "cups" or "usb" group to the system. Did
you check if it is needed to work with that group in order
to get the required permissions for the ulpt device?

I will definitely NOT buy this printer, but good to know that
it is at least possible (with hard work not common to UNIX
operations) to make it work.

Thank you for your little HOWTO, I will keep it in mind - and
hope I *never* will have to deal with such a "printer". :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany