Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 2010 03:20:30 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Kaya Saman <SamanKaya@netscape.net>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting audio input source for Darkice using mixer: can't set vol??

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010, Kaya Saman wrote:

 > Ok so since no one is able to answer or help out with the below; is there any
 > way of taking the output of XMMS2 and digitally routing it to the input of
 > Darkice???

mixer =rec mix and setting the level on pcm doesn't work for you?

 > I don't want to connect a whole bunch of analog cables and especially not one
 > from output to input as I need the output to listen but also need to get a
 > duplicate to be able to stream......
 >
 > Is anyone able to advise me at all????

Have a look at ports audio/jack and audio/xmms-jack (and friends);
software audio routing sure beats mucking around with cables, not to
mention avoiding loss of quality going digital -> analogue -> digital.

Disclaimer: I haven't used jack on FreeBSD yet myself, only on Debian.
I assume someone would have said something if it doesn't work ..

cheers, Ian