Date:      Fri, 03 May 2002 23:19:51 -0700
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: options PNPBIOS

> > > that the BIOS is configured for PNP OS but still get these messages:
> > >
> > > unknown: <PNP0000> can't assign resources
> > > unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources
> > > unknown: <PNP0f13> can't assign resources
> > > unknown: <PNP0c01> can't assign resources
> > > unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources
> > > unknown: <PNP0400> can't assign resources
> > > unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
> > > unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
> > >
> > > I've searched Google and found others with this problem but no
> > > solutions.  Is PNPBIOS documented somewhere?  Where should I start?
> >
> > These are always present with PNPBIOS as there are several things that
> > identify themselves via PNP that FreeBSD does not know/care
> > about. They can almost always be ignored.
>
> OK, that makes sense.

It's wrong though.  These are things that you have duplicate data for;
typically you have both hints and the PnP BIOS.  Nuke the hints and
you'll do better.  With care, of course.

> > Of course, it's entirely possible that I don't understand it.
>
> You must have a pretty good grasp of it as no one has stepped in to
> correct you.  :)

... or we're just too busy, or too tired of correcting the same damn
misconceptions over and over again.

 = Mike

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not