Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 01:24:19 -0400
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD4.6-stable /dev/wi0 problem - Toshiba Laptop

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 05:02:22PM -0700, Harkirat Singh wrote:

> Hello :
>
> I am using Toshiba Laptop (Satellite 2800) since FreeBSD4.2, even
> 4.3 was also working fine for me. Recently I have upgraded it to
> FreeBSD4.6(stable). I am having problem with IRQ allocation for device
> "wi0". My laptop is able to recognize the card in the data base but it
> is not been able to allocate an IRQ for this.

I have a Satellite 2805-S201, and do not have these problems.  Warner
Losh has been making fixes for the ToPIC100 handling code on a Satellite
2805-S201 recently.  They have not been committed to -STABLE yet.  I
don't know if they have been committed to -CURRENT yet.  If your laptop
is not exactly the Satellite 2805-S201, you might be a perfect candidate
for testing those patches.

I have two wi cards, a Netgear MA401 and an Orinoco Silver.  Both work
very well on my machine.  I last installworlded on about Jun 13, 2002.

I'll start the update process now just to make sure a problem hasn't
crept in since then.

See also:

http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/laptop/

> As I said I never had any problem with wi0 interface in FreeBSD 4.2 and
> 4.3 and I did not change rc.conf and pccard.conf.
>
> I am running out of all the options. I would appreciate if some one can
> guide me. Is there any patch??

Like I said, there should be no problem.  You will have to be more
specific.

/var/run/dmesg.boot, any IRQ assignment errors which have been logged...
etc.

lambert@lambertfam.org