Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 22:30:49 -1000 (HST)
From:      David Langford <langfod@maui.net>
To:        groudier@club-internet.fr (Gerard Roudier)
Cc:        langfod@maui.net, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Are SIIG SCSI Cards Supported?

>It seems to me that the FreeBSD-CAM method has killed most of the SCSI
>drivers in FreeBSD except the aic7xxx one.
>The killed drivers have now to resurrect.
>
>Adaptec perhaps sells more SCSI controllers than SYMBIOS, but SYMBIOS has
>up-to-date products and seems quite alive on the SCSI market place.
>
>If you base your opinion, on the number of problem reports, then you may
>wronly beleive that Adaptec owns the whole market of SCSI controllers.
>;-)
>
>If one applies the same on the O/S place, they one also may wrongly
>beleive that FreeBSD has never existed. ;-)
>Note that this would make it quite immune of being ever killed. ;-)
>Gérard.

Well I just found the first piece that made one of my assumptions.
I hadnt realized that Adaptec had NOT actually bought Symbios
last year like I had thought- silly me for not keepign up with the
press realases while that appeared when I was out of the country :)

It _seems_ like there are fewer and fewer OEM Symbios based cards and
even the vendors that used them in the past have been switching to
the Advansys and now the Initio chipsets in the lower price point markets.

It even seems like the Qlogic based boards in this market are fairly hard
to find.

I happen to work in the higher end server field and I do see more and more
Symbios and Qlogic based boards all the time, but I just havent seem
to have heard much in the crazy PC world as much...

Oh, BTW- don't get me wrong I am actually quite an Adaptec fan, just
         getting cheap :)

-David Langford
 langfod@dihelix.com