Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:10:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Mathias Haas" <mathias@haas.se>
To:        ravi@cow.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3ware confusion

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 01:01:43PM +0100, mathias@haas.se said at one
> point in time:
>> Hi Florian!
>>
>> I was a bit confused as well, I recently bought a 8506 and after I
>> installed FreeBSD 5.2 I discovered that there were beta drivers for 4.8.
>> But as I remember it, it's the same drivers that are included in 5.2.
>> I have had some strange problems (none critical, yet) with my 3ware
>> controller under 5.2, but I haven't tried it under 4.x, so I can't tell
>> if
>> there's a difference.
>>

> hi.
>
> there are, as best i can tell, two different drivers for twe.
> there is the built in kernel support which works with 4.x and
> 5.x and there is the kernel module which i know exists for 4.x
> and probably exists for 5.x.
>
> i can't speak to what works or doesn't in 5.x but for 4.x you
> can use the 3dm web utility to manage your card with the builtin
> kernel support only.  if you want to use the new cli tool (which
> i find very nice), you will have to disable the twe support in
> your kernel config, rebuild the kernel and use the kenrel module
> to access the device.  the beta driver that is on 3ware's site
> is a snapshot of the following:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/modules/twe
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/twe
>
> hope that helps.
>
> oh, and what kind of strangeness have you been having?  i'be been
> using the card for years and have had a few problems with it.  not
> sure if its fair to blame the card for them but it is suspect.
>
> -r

We had problems with FreeBSD hanging at reboot or during the initilization
of the controller during startup. Here's a link to my old thread.

http://news.gw.com/freebsd.hardware/4195

We have since then upgraded both the firmwire and motherboard BIOS but we
still get the messages during reboot that FreeBSD is unable to destroy the
device 0. I'm not exactly sure what it means, but I guess that it's not
able to "take down" the device properly. I still don't know why it does
that.

As I recall, the 4.8ß drivers are older than the ones that you linked to,
and those were the same that shipped with 5.2. I saw that they were
updated slightly four days ago, perhaps the newer versions of the driver
files came with 5.2.1 that was released yesterday?

Regards,
Mathias.