Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2006 18:04:00 +0100
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@flat.berklix.net>
Cc:        freebsd users <freebsd-users@uk.freebsd.org>, freebsd-user-groups@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Manchester BSD UG - Tonight!

On 1 Aug 2006, at 17:07, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> Most technology clubs in Munich get a much higher turn out when
> there's a tech talk/ presentation associated, & not just the normal
> monthly drinking.

We've been going in Manchester now for a few years. We[*]
specifically decided it would be:

a) Informal
b) No presentations
c) Not strictly about BSD

It's quite laid back, and turnout really depends on how busy we are.
We have had 8-9 people in the past, but the core tends to be about 4
of us who regularly turn up.

At some point we might get our act together and do something more
formal, but who wants to sit in front of PowerPoint one evening when
you've been working all day? Having a casual chat with like-minded
people just seems to be more attractive.

[*] - I bullied Sam Smith into making it this way to be fair. I think
he was open to something different to the LUG meets, but I thought it
would be better if we went for something that felt more like a 2600
meet without the criminal element. :-)