Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 1999 19:12:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>
To:        scanner@jurai.net
Cc:        Chang Song <song@zk3.dec.com>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: journaling UFS and LFS

> 	AFAIK, the license will *eventually* be a BSD one.
I know this is the intent but it doesn't help now. Also most of the large
players already have at the very least a logged file system so who will
this be sold to?

> 	Again I *think* another of kirk's long term goals is to make
> softupdates FSCK'less. And just get rid of fsck all together. But Im not
> certain about this one. Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.
That is one of the goals. However, Kirk is very busy and this could take
forever to implement if we all leave it to Kirk.

> Having said that a Journaled FS would be cool. Just another feature we
> have to sell. And under a BSD license. There are only a few things I think
> BSD could use personally. Threads, better SMP, NFS that is less sucky but
> matt has done a GREAT job fixing it up so far, and way off on a tangent in
> another universe, a BSD-L compiler instead of gcc. But thats living in
> lala land.
This is my list as well. Threads (and with it a threaded tcp stack),
smoother SMP (coming), nfs (as you said well on its way) and a bsd
compiler. The only thing I would add to this is a more fully featured
vinum (Look vinum rocks. There is no question about that. There are just a
few more features that would be nice to have and those are already listed
on the vinum web pages), and a robust, BSD licensed, extensible ha
solution.

-don