Date:      Tue, 05 Feb 2002 11:10:30 -0500
From:      Jud <jud@operamail.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        "i hate microsoft a whole lot" <megodzillaudead@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Win2k dual boot and ethernet card

2/5/2002 5:31:42 PM, "i hate microsoft a whole lot" <megodzillaudead@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a machine with two hard drive, one has FreebSD and the other has
>Windows 2k.  I installed FreeBSD second, but now when the boot menu comes up
>it
>reads "F1 FreeBSD / F5 Drive 1" then when I press F5 the menu changes to "F1
>??
>/ F5 Drive 1" if I press F1 the computer reboots and the whole process
>starts
>over if I press F5 it goes back to the original menu.
[snip re network card about which I've no idea, sorry]

Do either of two things:

1a. Copy the /boot/boot1 file from FreeBSD hard drive to a floppy
(should be FAT32 format), giving it a name like "bootsect.bsd"
- without the quotes, of course.

b. Boot into DOS from a bootable floppy and run fdisk /mbr on your
W2K drive.

c. Copy bootsect.bsd to your W2K hard drive.

d. Edit boot.ini on your W2K drive by adding
[W2K hard drive letter]:\bootsect.bsd="FreeBSD" (*with* the quotes)

or

2. Install GRUB from /usr/ports/sysutils/grub, type "info grub"
(no quotes), read the instructions carefully, and set it up as your
boot loader.

Jud