Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 02:06:27 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pimping FreeBSD Information (was: 'Order')

Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> types:
> At 7:16 AM -0800 2/27/01, richard childers wrote:
> >Maybe you should offer to send free copies to people ... or quote
> >from your book, instead of just referring to it.
> >I've seen two references to this book ... two attempts to pander
> >it, to pimp it, to sell it, to drum up orders for it ... but I
> >don't see you, Ted, contributing any expertise. Just sales
> >advertisements.
> After having read the messages that seemed to have annoyed you,
> I think Ted's comments were fine.  The guy wrote a book, that
> does not mean he is required to stop and provide customized
> excerpts for the book for everyone who has a question that might
> be answered by the book.

Right - he's providing a pointer to what he believes is the best
information that answers the question. That he wrote it isn't
relevant, though you'd expect an author to consider their work to be
the best available (otherwise, why write it?). A number of people - me
included - regularly provide pointers to things they wrote that
answers questions. It beats typing the information in all over again.

That he's selling it as a book and thus makes a profit if you buy it
isn't relevant. You don't have to buy it, you just have to read
it. It'd be nice if he posted it to the web, but he may not have the
rights to do that.

> >If I am, I'm sure others - not you, Ted - will inform me. And
> >I will duly apologize.
> Will you?  Good.

Yup. Anyone willing to provide good answers (and Ted does) should be
encouraged, not discouraged.

	<mike