Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 12:21:44 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sending '@' in a password for ftp(1)

Ryan Thompson wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> How do I send an '@' symbol as part of a password for ftp(1), using the
> syntax:
>
> ftp ftp://user:password@host/path/file

It has been a 2.5 years since I was doing something like that. We used
a text file that was redirected as stdin to ftp. We did something like
"ftp < mfg_data" and mfg_data looked like

open mfg
user anonymous
ryan@sasknow.com
put xxx
quit

I may have missed or over used a key-word.

Kent

> As part of a shell script, I'm trying to connect to an anonymous FTP
> server, but the wu-ftpd server requires a properly formatted email address
> as a password, and will disconnect otherwise.  So, I need something like:
>
> ftp ftp://ftp:ryan\@sasknow.com@ftp.server.com/path/file
>
> ...but I can't think of a way to escape the '@' in the email address in
> such a way that ftp(1) won't get confused into thinking
> "sasknow.com@ftp.server.com" is the host.
>
> I realize that .netrc or possibly an expect(1) script would work, but I
> would much rather have something that is purely command-line driven.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Ryan
>
> --
>   Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
>   Network Administrator, Accounts
>   Phone: +1 (306) 664-1161
>
>   SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
>   #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com