Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:34:15 -0500
From:      Jerod Prothe <jprothe@usd217.org>
To:        Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail malady - dns/postfix

Norberto Meijome wrote:

> Jerod,
> pls define 'local citizens'. My view of "local" is surely different to
> yours.

Good question:  local as in residents down the street in the same small town

> yup,
> # telnet otto.usd217.org 25
> Trying 209.42.72.250...
>

> BTW:
>
> whois usd217.org
> [...]
> Name Server:GALLEY.USD217.ORG
> Name Server:OTTO.USD217.ORG
>
>  From Sydney, AU, the DNS records seem to have propagated:
>
> $ nslookup.exe
> Default Server:  xxxxx
> Address:  10.168.100.10
>
>  > set type=ns
>  > usd217.org
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Server:  xxxxx
> Address:  10.168.100.10
>
> usd217.org      nameserver = otto.usd217.org
> usd217.org      nameserver = galley.usd217.org
>
> otto.usd217.org internet address = 209.42.72.250
> galley.usd217.org       internet address = 209.42.72.2
>
> and MX:
> usd217.org      mail exchanger = 50 galley.usd217.org.
>

> but from TX,USA:
> # nslookup
>  > set type=ns
>  > usd217.org
> Server:         207.218.192.38
> Address:        207.218.192.38#53
>
> usd217.org      nameserver = rolla.usd217.org.
> usd217.org      nameserver = ns1.pld.com.
> usd217.org      nameserver = ns2.pld.com.
> usd217.org      nameserver = pta6000.pld.com.
>
> and MX:
> usd217.org      MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = otto.usd217.org
>
> otto.usd217.org internet address = 209.42.72.251

Otto is not supposed to handle mail for our domain AT ALL.  It shouldn't be.
Our ISP does want to have our MX records since they do not host our dns, at
least that was what their representative said when I told her of my network changes.

> so it seems that, to begin with, you have some inconsistency in what we
> can see of your network, the answers i'm seeing from this USA-based NS
> being the old ones.
>
> Notice that from USA, I'm getting MX pointing to otto., which it seems
> not to be taking connections on tcp/25. galley  OTOH smtp listening on
> tcp/25.
>
>> There may be more at stake here:  If this doesn't work well, then any
>> credibility that I have with my employer concerning using open-source
>> may be exhausted.
>

> this doesnt seem at all a problem of 'MS is better than OS' or otherwise
> (wont enter in that argument anyway) - just DNS not propagated yet, and
> not much you can do about that but to wait it out, other than giving
> otto's IP to galley for the time being so  all smtp traffic goes to the
> box that is working.

I'm not making it out to be an os holy war, but the powers that be say "but
we've always used Windows, why use something else?"

> Next time, you may want to reduce your  refresh settings in your zone
> before you perform a drastic change.
>
>>  Any other conf's I should show?
>>

> I'm not too sure the exact configuration you have / intend to have. do
> you want galley to forward emails to otto?

galley should be the sole handler of mail, coming and going.  Otto should have
nothing to do with our services anymore.  Notice that I'm able to send and
receive to this list without any trouble.  My computer (this is my first month
at this job) was statically set to use otto for lookups. So is every other
computer at my employment.  I know I'll need to change everyone's settings
(probably a Labor Day weekend project.)

> regards,
> beto

I really do appreciate your response.