Date:      Sun, 16 May 2004 17:49:05 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Robert Fitzpatrick <robert@webtent.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading OpenLDAP 2.1.30 to 2.2.x

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 12:35:04PM -0400, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 11:24, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> > That means that all of the applications linked against the LDAP shlibs
> > have suddenly stopped working.  To fix them, all you need do is
> > reinstall -- the situation is analogous to the problem with
> > 'libintl.so.N no found' thing that keeps coming up over and over on
> > this list.
> >=20
>=20
> Thanks for the detailed response. I have decided to upgrade a number of
> packages that are related, like Berkeley DB to version 4.2. Also, I have
> the openldap-sasl-* packages installed working with SASL 2.1.18 and
> Heimdal Kerberos 0.6, but I don't think I need upgrade these two
> packages, they seem to be at their latest versions, so I guess from what
> you're saying, I just need to reinstall these packages. Also, Postfix
> 2.0.16 that has LDAP support and I want to upgrade to 2.1.x. Is there
> any recommended order for this scenario, perhaps upgrade Berkeley first,
> then openldap-sasl-server-2.1.30 and client, then Postfix and reinstall
> all other dependencies?

Right -- the sasl versions of the OpenLDAP client+server can be
updated exactly as I showed.  Just make sure you edit pkgtools.conf's
MAKE_ARGS array so that 'WITH_SASL=3Dyes' gets supplied to the
openldap22 ports as well as the openldap21 ports.

The ordering requirements are basically like I said: openldap client
first, then openldap server then everything else that depends on
openldap client.  If you just let portupgrade sort out the order of
all the other dependencies it will (probably) work just fine.

Since you can install several different versions of the BDB libraries
simultaneously, just install the one you want right at the
beginning. Hmmm.. of course, this shouldn't need to be said, but make
sure you dump out the contents of your LDAP server in ldif format or
otherwise make a backup of it in a format *which doesn't depend on the
precise version of the BDB libs you have installed*.  I think BDB's
on-disk data formats are pretty much compatible across versions, but
I'm not entirely certain.  Obviously make sure slapd and slurpd aren't
running when you start doing any of this.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way