Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 15:33:09 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Kevin Lo <kevin.lo@toptk.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Subject:   KDE2 ports and kdemultimedia2.

Kevin Lo wrote:

> Jordan Hubbard wrote:
>
> > > Heh, Mike, you're a bad guy, aren't you? :-)
> > > Welll, I'll be willing to take over maintainership.
> > > I think I'll be busy soon...
> >
> > Cool..  Perhaps you can make all the system info items (like PCI devices,
> > etc) show up for FreeBSD in the system information panel. :)

With this new job, are you going to look at making kscd works (they
are cam-less at this point) or is there someone else that is doing
that? The name on the $ID of plat_freebsd.c is dfoerste. It looks like
it was an import from Steve Grimm's Workman. Workman will play a cd on
my system and Foerste is listed as the maintainer. Other than printing
plat_freebsd.c, this is as far as I have looked so far.

I grabbed a copy of sys/scsiio.h from the attic in order to make kscd
compile. I renamed that before I installed workman. So, it isn't
dependant on it.

The are two flaws in kscd that have been there forever. It wants to
use the paleolithic, Panasonic rmat0dc driver and it uses the wrong
address for the Cddb database site. A suggested user patch for their
local cdrom device would be helpfull. I haven't tried modifying
config.h.std or kscd-script. The Cddb databse URL should be fixed
independantly.

I have been keeping a cvsup'ed copy of KDE-2 files but haven't dived
into using cam. It is on my gateway/firewall right now but the parts
to make an new system, which will trickle down to the gateway, are
supposed to arrive RSN. It would probably be easy to move files to one
of my test system's with out nfs_mounting it to test something, if I
now about it and anyone does anything about the audio problems. The
gateway won't be running KDE-2 until they have a version of kdevelop
that works. The multimedia stuff don't take for ever to build like the
other dependancies. Arts works on both of my systems. I just turned on
something like network transparency as an option and restarted KDE.

Kent

> Good idea. Add my TODO list :-)
>
> > - Jordan
>
> - Kevin