Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:59:13 +0200
From:      Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@lmf.ericsson.se>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP clients getting wrong netmask

I got two answers (both authors were BCC:ed). Reply #1 was:

> > /etc/ppp/options
> > ================
> > netmask 255.255.255.0           # netmask
>
> Hmm.  Think that's the problem?

I don't think so. The manual page for pppd says:

      netmask n
              Set the interface netmask to n, a 32 bit netmask in
              "decimal  dot"  notation  (e.g. 255.255.255.0).  If
              this option is given, the value specified  is  ORed  |
              with  the  default netmask.  The default netmask is  |
              chosen based on the negotiated remote  IP  address;
              it is the appropriate network mask for the class of
              the remote IP address, ORed with the  netmasks  for  |
              any  non  point-to-point  network interfaces in the  |
              system which are on the same network.                |

The default netmask for the non point-to-point interface on the
server is 255.255.255.192.

		255.255.255.192
		255.255.255.0
	OR	_______________
		255.255.255.192

(And just for the record, I have tried with "netmask 255.255.255.192"
in /etc/ppp/options without any luck)

Reply #2 was:

> Just as an aside, do you have success with Macintosh and Linux clients under
> this set up? We had the same setup and only WIndows clients would function
> correctly...

To be honest, I haven't tried with Windows. Does someone use a similar
setup with Windows?

/Martti

---
Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@ericsson.com>