Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 15:23:36 -0400
From:      PJourdan <info@lespetitsplaisirs.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   TrueType fonts

I have searched google and found much on the the subject, but nothing
definitive or clear.
environment: FreeBSD 4.5 release; Xfree86 v. 3.3.6; KDE3. all work fine...
Tried to install TrueType fonts. After much mucking about I did get it to
work for the brief time that I checked it. After shutdown & reboot - all
was lost and no way to get it up again.
I took the folowing steps:
1. install Xfstt - OK.
2. create directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType - OK.
3. copy *.ttf fonts to the directory - OK.
4. cd /usr/port/x11-fonts/ttmkfdir && make install - OK.
cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType && ttmkfdir > fonts.scale - OK.
cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType && mkfontdir - OK.
5. add to XF86Config:FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/" - OK.
(by the way, there are no "Module" sections in XF86Config by default and,
as I saw later, it doesn't seem to be necessary to add such a section)
6. Start X and see if the new fonts are available. - Nyet
When I first ran ttmkfdir, it created the fonts.scale file although with
some errors (unrecognized foundry or something to that effect) and then
mkfontdir did create the font.dir.
Then I found xset ! . I started up xfstt, starx and did xset fp+
inet/127.0.0.1:7101. All of a sudden,the fonts were there in the konqueror
configuration stuff. Only, if I remember correctly, I had to run the xset
from KDE3 since otherwise it gives the message: unable to open display.
Then I restarted and since then nothing, NADA, NYET, NIX: no way to set up
TrueType.
Now when I set up XF86Config and startx, I get the usual message: Fatal
server error: could not open default font 'fixed'.
I cannot find any reference as to exaclty where xset is supposed to make
the changes.
xset q shows what the current settings are but there is no clue as to where
these settings are or how to find them. And they are definitely different
from those in XF86Config since they show paths to .kde directories.
I would really appreciate some help in understanding this stuff and getting
TrueType to work. I stumbled on it once and it obviously was only a
temporary set-up.
Thanks in advance,
Phil Jourdan