Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 02:54:00 +0100
From:      "Christian Weihs" <whitey@whitey.at>
To:        "Jason Smith" <jasonsmi@TTACS.TTU.EDU>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Welcome to the FreeBSD Documentation Server

> I know that full-duplex is supported by our LAN, and I know that I am
> not going through a hub.

Not connected to a hub? How then?
I've had a similar problem with an old DEC Tulip NIC. I'm connected
through a 10/100 Switch but the card wouldn't recognize the link.
I tried to force it with
ifconfig de0 <ip and mask> media 100BaseTX mediaopt full-duplex
but the link wouldn't come up. Only after disconnecting the TP cable
and connecting it right afterwards the link would be recognized.
Maybe it was the Switch (cheap and nasty Surecom Switch). After all,
network hardware is a bit sensitive about what you plug together.

> I have tried the command "ifconfig en0 media 10baset/utp mediaopt
> full-duplex" and it returns:
>
> ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Operation not supported
>
> Does this mean that I cannot set it to full-duplex even as root?  I know
> that the version of FreeBSD OSX uses is out of date.  Could this be
> something that wasn't allowed in the older version that X uses?

I think the mediatype is case-sensitive....but try
man en
This should show you the right options for this driver.

Christian