Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 08:46:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        K.J.Koster@kpn.com, rivers@dignus.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Anyone using pptp?

> Dear Thomas,
>

> > Well - I'm still trying to get pptp to cooperate and set up
> > a VPN connection to a Microsoft VPN server.
> >
> > I'm just wondering - is there _anyone_ out there that has
> > met with success using pptp - and, if so, could you share
> > your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf settings?
> >
> http://kjkoster.org/?page=content/adsl.jsp It's specific for my provider,
> though.
>
>     Kees Jan

 Thanks Kees!

 I read through your web pages - very nicely done, by the way!

 But - I'm afraid your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf doesn't work for me.

 Here's the current issue:

  The Microsoft VPN server I'm talking to is insisting on an encrypted
  MPPE connection at the LCP level.

  That connection requires MSChapV2 (0x81).

  If I add
	enable MSChapV2
  in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf - then our ppp client requires that the
  peer (the Microsoft VPN server) authenticate using MSChapV2.  But,
  the Microsoft VPN peer refuses that (it's configured to not use
  MSChapV2.

 So - I'm in the situation of both requiring and disallowing MSChapV2.

 Does anyone know if there is a way in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf to accomplish
 this?  Some people on the Linux lists suggested that the FreeBSD ppp
 might have a "noauth" option, which meant that the peer didn't have
 to authenticate itself - but I couldn't find such an option.

 Any pointers would be appreciated!

	- Dave Rivers -

--
rivers@dignus.com                        Work: (919) 676-0847