Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 2006 13:43:13 +0300
From:      Panagiotis <pnestora@ee.duth.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: natd not starting on boot-up

   Roger Merritt wrote:

     I'm thoroughly puzzled. Over the weekend I transferred my FreeBSD
     system to a new hard drive. Through laziness I didn't follow the
     instructions and had to make a completely new install. Everything
     now seems to be working the way it should, Apache, MySQL, PHP,
     syslog, Samba -- except natd. Everything starts on boot-up as it
     should -- except natd. I can start it manually from the command
     line after booting up and logging in and it works fine, but I can't
     tell what's going on that it's failing to start.
     My /etc/rc.conf contains the following:
     # This file now contains just the overrides from
     /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
     defaultrouter="203.151.134.1"
     gateway_enable="YES"
     hostname="poppy.international.stjohn.ac.th"
     ifconfig_ed0="inet 10.3.16.125 netmask 255.255.255.0"
     ifconfig_ed1="inet 203.151.134.104  netmask 255.255.255.0"
     router_enable="YES"
     firewall_enable="YES"
     firewall_type="OPEN"
     firewall_quiet="YES"
     natd_enable="YES"
     natd_interface="ed1"
     ipv6_enable="YES"
     linux_enable="YES"
     moused_enable="YES"
     moused_port="/dev/sysmouse"
     moused_type="auto"
     screen="daemon"
     nfs_client_enable="YES"
     sshd_enable="YES"
     What can I do to get some indication of where the problem is?

   Try to comment the line natd_enable="YES" and then add
   a new line at the end of rc.conf:
   /etc/rc.d/natd start
   if this doesn't work, try to put
   natd_flags=""
   in your rc.conf and plesase check your ipfw rule for nat
   it should be something like this:
   (with natd_flags="")
   ipfw -q add divert natd all from any to any via your_public_interface
   Good luck!!