Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 10:16:15 -0700
From:      Arun Sharma <arun@sharmas.dhs.org>
To:        Fuyuhiko Maruyama <fuyuhik8@is.titech.ac.jp>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JVM and native threads

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 10:12:38PM +0900, Fuyuhiko Maruyama wrote:
> 2. Use the same extra threading library both in mozilla and J2SDK.

Yes, that'd be the way to go.

> How do you think about this?  Using libc_r in J2SDK is most reasonable
> alternative, isn't it?

May be, if you're running java on uniprocessor machines all the time.

> NGPT on FreeBSD achieves production quality before KSE based threading
> isn't clear I think.

I don't know either. All I know is I can use NGPT today, with programs
like crafty (a chess program) and ORP (a java VM).

Another thing I forgot to mention: NGPT today is non-preemptive. A "bad"
user level thread can monopolize a kernel level thread and there's no
defence against that.

	-Arun