Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:28:36 -0500
From:      "Ludington, Jacob" <Jacob.Ludington@ed.state.ia.us>
To:        'Joshua Barker' <phire@jigaboos.com>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        'Michael Lucas' <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, "'freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: BSD Magazine

I'm not suggesting that an online newsletter would completely replace the
possibility of an offline mag. However, the world of online publishing moves
at a much greater speed than the stodgy print world and by developing a
countable readership online it might be possible to translate that into a
marketable offline venture.  The perceived risk involved in starting an
online publication is much lower than in the offline world as well. Magazine
publishers only cover 30-50% of publication costs through subscriptions so
they have much more to lose in terms of hard costs by launching a mag for an
untested market.

Jake Ludington