Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2019 09:49:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Stefan Parvu <sparvu@kronometrix.org>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RBPI3B+ FreeBSD 12 ZFS

> On Fri, 2019-02-22 at 17:38 +0200, Stefan Parvu wrote:
> > I know ZFS would need a decent amount of RAM to start with. So for
> > such low sized
> > SBC systems, like Raspberry PI having ZFS for root might be no go.
> >
> > What I meant was: how complicated would be right now for FreeBSD 12
> > to have an
> > ARM64 RBPI3B+ image image which could use ZFS to boot from a SD Card.
> >
> > Stefan Parvu
> > sparvu@kronometrix.org
> >

> People have run a 512MB beaglebone with zfs on sdcard. It surely wasn't
> high performance, and it reported needed some hand-tuning to run at
> all, but it worked.

you can run zfs based systems in a very small amount of memory,
including on FreeBSD i386 IF you limit the size of the arc
cache by
vfs.zfs.arc_max=
in /boot/loader.conf
for small memory systems I recommend no more than 50% of memory.
I have run ZFS on 128MB systems, and run a VM that is zfs root
in 1G on a daily basis.  So memory is NOT your issue with doing
this on a RPI3B+

> There's a lot of mythology about sdcards and what they can and can't
> do, and how supposedly fragile they are.  It's all a bunch of noise you
> can safely ignore.  They're slow, but they're plenty reliable.

I agree.  Also you should be able to boot the RPI3B+ from USB,
and that would be a far better solution, USB can have issues
though too, but my experience is it is a slight step better than
sdcard slowness.