Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 23:26:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        bruno schwander <bruno.schwander@technologist.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-java@freebsd.org" <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: jdk1.1.7 core dumps silently on freebsd 3.1 release

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, bruno schwander wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:02:14 -0700, Nate Williams wrote:
>
> >> I just installed jdk1.1.5_ELF_V99.03.25 on my bsd system and also the
> >> more recent ld.so mentioned on the freebsd java page.
> >> The problem I am having is that java instantly core dumps, with now
> >> error message.
> >
> >Does it dump core sometimes, or doing anything?  Can you run any kind of
> >program?  If it doesn't do anything, I'd be suspicous about the loader
> >not being updated.
> >

> I checked this and no the new ld was not changed properly.
> When I run the install command, I get a core dump from strip !
> how can I manually update that file ?

You only have to copy it to /usr/libexec, but READ THIS!!

ld-elf.so.1 is the file that is at the base of all your shared
executeables. If you screw it up, your machine will be in a disaster
state ... not unrecoverable, but SAVE your old ld-elf.so.1 in a very
safe place, and be ready to copy it right back into place, should you
lose your shared executables.  Something like vi is shared, and it
better execute. /bin/cp, which you can use to copy things back, is a
statically compiled thing, so it'll work regardless.  ld-elf.so.1 is
pretty small, so save it under, say, ld-elf.so.1.save in /usr/libexec,
so it's right there if you have to restore it.

Keep your head here, don't shoot yourself in the foot, please.

If you already knew this, then consider this a warning message to
everyone else, because I know we're going to get at least one "help me"
message out of this.  I just picked you as a convenient target to get
this warning out early.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).