Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:00:07 +0100
From:      "Joao Barros" <joao.barros@gmail.com>
To:        "Pawel Jakub Dawidek" <pjd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Lapo Luchini <lapo@lapo.it>
Subject:   Re: ZFS panic on mdX-based raidz

On 6/15/07, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org> wrote:

> > > You corrupted two components in configuration with accepts only one disk
> > > failure.
> > Yes, I'm well aware of that (it was intentional, in fact), and the
> > "invalid" state of the pool was fully expected.. while the kernel panic
> > short thereafter was a bit less so ;-)
> > Not a very urgent or pressing issue, I do agree, I reported it mainly
> > for completeness sake.
>
> But this is very expected behaviour of ZFS.

Let's suppose I have 2 raidz, one volume using disks on one enclosure
and another volume using disks on another enclosure. One of the
enclosures is disconnected, doesn't matter why. Is ZFS going to panic
the machine thus rendering the other volume unavailable? From what
I've seen the volume is marked as failed and that's what's supposed to
happen.
Or when you say intentional was just for md backed devices?

--
Joao Barros