Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 19:42:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, Johann Visagie <johann@egenetics.com>, <Freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Subject:   Re: corporate announcement

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 04:56 PM 4/5/2001, Chris Dillon wrote:
>
> >Heh, you'd have to be pretty stupid not to design a watchdog into any
> >system that is sitting outside of easy reach, no matter how stable you
> >think the operating system is.  :-)
>
> I don't know how many admins I've met who admit to having locked
> themselves out of their own systems (usually via bad firewall
> rules). In many cases, they have had to drive miles to get to the
> system console.

I've had to do that before.  Luckily I only live 15 minutes from work.
I'd set up a modem for out-of-band access, but I've got several boxes
I'd want to do that with, and I can't tie up that many phone lines,
and we can't afford a console server at the moment.

I don't think a watchdog would help you out in that situation anyway.

> Of course, in the case of Pathfinder, it would have been a
> slightly longer drive. ;-)

Who said anything about driving? :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org