Date:      Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:50:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        drew@mykitchentable.net (Drew Tomlinson)
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can I Rebuild / and /usr Remotely?  Ideas?

> On 9/20/2005 11:28 AM Jerry McAllister wrote:
>
> >>On 9/20/2005 10:20 AM Jerry McAllister wrote:
> >>
> >>Thank you for your reply.  This gives me some direction in which to
> >>proceed.  Since the layout is as I like now, it seems to me that I would
> >>only have to dump / and then dump /usr.  The restore order would be
> >>first / then /usr.  Is that correct?  Here's my current fstab:
> >
> >Sounds right from what you indicate here.
> >
> Wait a minute.  I just thought of something.  I am not going to be able
> to work on da0 while it's mounted, correct?

Yup.

>     and since da0s1a is my root
> partition, I'm not going to be able to unmount it until I boot from
> another disk, presumably ad0.  How do I set up ad0 so it will boot?
> Then after making a complete copy of / and /usr on ad0, I will have to
> boot from it before doing my work on da0 and da1.  At that point I'll
> have to do the secret incantations of fdisk and bsdlabel on da0  and
> da1, build my stripe, mount everything, use dump/restore to copy the
> contents of ad0 to it's respective places, and then finally reboot from
> da0.  Uh oh, I think this is getting complicated...  :)

That is what a fixit CD is for (or one of the many things).
Just boot up your fixit CD and wend your way around the menus
of choices until you get a prompt.   Or, for that matter, do
the sliceing and dicing from sysinstall on the fixit.
For FreeBSd 4.xxx and before the fixit is disk 2, I believe
and for FreeBSD 5.xxx and after the fixit in CD number 1.

////jerry