Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 11:03:12 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        chad@dcfinc.com
Cc:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au (Daniel O'Callaghan), Studded@dal.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with rc.conf/rc.firewall

> I'm more comfortable with multiple rc.<thingie> files and a master that
> runs them.  This may be due to more than a decade with SysV, and its
> /etc/init.d setup, but it makes more sense and I find it easier to
> administer system startup in byte-sized chunks.  It also means packages
> can be added without performing a merge into a main file (put 'em in
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d).

rc.conf is *NOT* used by installable packages, and never will be.

It is intended to be the single repository of standard system
configuration information.  In some cases, the parameters that it
contains may be relevant to more than one section of the system, so
this is the only approach that makes sense.

mike