Date:      Mon, 05 Jul 1999 09:40:01 -0700
From:      "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.Org>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        mtaylor@cybernet.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LDAPed FreeBSD

At 02:29 PM 7/4/99 -0700, Amancio Hasty wrote:
>Record locking and batch requests is a bit more difficult to solve perhaps
>someone in the list can shed light into this problem for instance does
>LDAPv3 provide such mechanism?

LDAP (v2 or v3) does not provide record locking, client/server
transactions, nor any specific batching requests.  The "L" in LDAP
means lightweight.

I think LDAP-based directory service could be used to manage
a wide variety of system information including configuration
information for various other network services.  However, using
LDAP directory services to manage network-services state information
is likely not appropriate application of LDAP.

For example, while it may make sense to use an LDAP directory
service to manage the configuration and master zone information
for a Domain Name Service, it would not be wise to use an LDAP
directory service to maintain state information (such records
created due to DHCP operations) of Domain Name Service.

>If there any bugs in the ldap server I will probably fix them or
>better yet the people working on openldap will fix them.

OpenLDAP, like FreeBSD, is user maintained and developed.  All
users are encouraged to contribute to the project.  We can
surely use your help!

Kurt