Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:25:50 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Subject:   Re: Memory Mangement Problem in 5.1-RELEASE

Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> Well, it still should not touch the swap since I have very few stuff
> running with 256mb ram. I just reboot and start with Gnome 2.3.x and Opera,
> then doing the update (compile/install) gnome-panel. Now, it's already use
> the swap in minutes and later hours I will get more mbs or swap.

1)	He's running Gnome 2.2, not 2.3.x

2)	The version is probably less important than the compiler
	that was used to compile it

3)	Start looking at free memory with only the kernel being
	different between the tests, instead of changing all sorts
	of variabls at once, or you'll never convince anyone that
	what you think is the problem is actually the problem

-- Terry