Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 1996 00:04:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jim@starshine.org>
To:        bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: looking for remote dump suggestion

> I have two machines, ux1 and admin. Ux1 is a general machine and
> not considered especially secure. Admin is used only internally
> and we try to keep it relatively secure. Admin has a tape drive on
> it. Ux1 does not and will not; we want all that stuff on other
> machines than ux1.
>
> To back up ux1, I have to run dump on it, which does a remote
> login on admin, requiring a .rhosts on admin for ux1.  If ux1 is
> root compromised, so also is admin, which kinda defeats the
> purpose....

	I have two suggestions for you:

		Trust should flow the *other* direction
		(rather than allowing ux1 to initiate processes
		on admin, allow admin to initiate processes on
		ux1 -- and use a command like:

			you@admin$ rsh -l root ux1 'dump ...' | dd ... of=/dev/rmt0

	(note this is rough since I always have to look  up the
	parameters to dump and I don't know your blocksizes, tape's
	device name, etc, would be).

	The idea is to get 'dump' on ux1 to direct its output to
	stdout -- which will get piped into 'dd.'

	My other suggestion is tcp_wrappers.  You should configure
	admin so that it won't allow logins from ux1 at all.

	(I also hope that you have an anti-spoofing screen on your
	router).