Date:      Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:26:55 -0400
From:      Josh Ockert <torstenvl@gmail.com>
To:        "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
Cc:        Bob Johnson <bob89@eng.ufl.edu>, freebsd-questions Question <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Demon license? (copyright myths)

On 7/20/05, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC <chad@shire.net> wrote:
>=20
> On Jul 20, 2005, at 9:11 AM, Bob Johnson wrote:
>=20
> > IANAL either, but in general, a copyright holder has the right to
> > control
> > derivative works as well.  You can't publish pictures of Mickey
> > Mouse without
> > permission of Disney, even if you drew the pictures yourself, and you
> > (probably) can't publish images of Beastie without Kirk McKusick's
> > permission.  The fact that he is lenient in enforcing his rights
> > does not
> > mean that he doesn't have them.
> >
> > If someone manages to come up with a daemon image that is obviously
> > NOT
> > Beastie, then they won't have to worry about McKusick's copyright,
> > but since
> > he is so lenient in granting usage, why bother?
> >
> > http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
> >
> > - Bob
>=20
>=20
> This would be true if he had invented or come up with Beastie first.
> Is that how it happened?  I was under the impression that he just
> came up with the most loved form but that previously somewhat similar
> images  had been used for unix/bsd etc.  He still has the right to
> derivatives of his beastie but I would suspect that not-so-similar
> versions would be OK. But again, IANAL and am not familiar with whole
> history
>=20
> ---
> Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
> Your Web App and Email hosting provider
> chad@shire.net
>=20
>=20
rg"
>=20

No I disagree. I'm fairly certain that an independently drawn
personified mouse would not be copyright infringement.

Calling it "Mickey Mouse" may very well be trademark infringement, however.

--=20
Josh Ockert
WMU Student: French Linguistics, Computer Science
--=20
The irony in biblical creationists' rhetoric of implicitly claiming
that God's universe is so inconsistent that carbon decays at erratic
rates is too delicious to ignore.