Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:43:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Steve Bertrand" <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
To:        "Bill Moran" <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Chapter 14 Security

>> > The article requires the use of the command "gifconfig" which does not
>> > exit on my FreeBSD 5.2.1 machine.  Is this a typo in the manual, or
>> have
>> > I missed something?
>>
>> Just did a quick google for "no gifconfig freebsd 5", and in the sparc64
>> relnotes, I found this:
>>
>> "gifconfig(8) is obsolete and has been removed. Its functionality is now
>> handled by the tunnel and deletetunnel commands of  ifconfig(8)."
>>
>> Here's the link. If it's taken out of sparc, I'm assuming that it's
>> obsolete for the others as well...
>>
>> http://jamesthornton.com/freebsd/5.0/relnotes-sparc64.html
>
> This should probably be passed on to the doc team.  Anyone have time to
> put together a patch to update the handbook?
>
> [doc team CCed]

Although I've always been intrigued in the arena of actually making a
doc/code patch contribution to any open source project, I feel this a very
good time to look into howto perform this type of task.

I'll review the FreeBSD developers handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/

tomorrow to find out more on how I can do this. It's something I've always
wanted to do, and it seems like a great opportunity for me to get 'right
into' making an actual contribution for what I have so freely taken.

Any other resources I can be pointed to for making Doc contributions will
be graciously accepted for mine, and hopefully others interest.

Steve