Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 06:13:41 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        "Matthew K. Cowger" <mcowger@bowdoin.edu>
Cc:        "Luiz Emerson" <forkbsd@yahoo.com.br>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Kernel

> Mark, et. al,
>

> You know, I just realized I sent the wrong link.  But I think he is
> asking essentially that..how can the core OS be upgraded, and as you
> mentioned, CVSupiing,. buildworld, ertc, is the way to do it.  My
> apologies for the screwy link and if I misunderstood.

aaah, change the link and suddenly it makes sense :+)

sorry if I sounded a bit patronising there!

> I agree with mark, however, in that one of the most beutiful parts of
> BSD (second only to the ports system), is the relative stability of the
> kernel and base system.

indeed. It almost seems that there usually is not much requirement to
upgrade - the ports system makes all the software work lovelyly, very few
security issues seem to be related to the kernel....the only reason I
upgraded from 4.1 to 4.3 was because a change of motherboard meant I needed
to use the latest version of the ATA driver, otherwise I'd still be more
than happy with 4.1...

Good luck Luiz!

Mark