Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:42:18 -0600
From:      Jeremy Norris <ishmael27@home.com>
To:        ade@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/23716: Patch to make graphics/gdk-pixbuf optionally dependant upon GNOME

I object to this. While gdk-pixbuf is developed by the GNOME folks, and used
frequenlty in GNOMEish apps, the library itself does not require a GNOME
library, only GTK+. There are several apps in the port tree now that can
utilize gdk-pixbuf without GNOME, so its not as if nothing would take advantage
of a GNOMEless version (xchat and gnapster both come to the top of my mind).
I would also point out that NetBSD saw fit enough to split into GNOME vs.
non-GNOME in their pkgsrc. As I understand the situation, gdk-pixbuf is a
replacement for Imlib, a library that GNOME is built upon, and will also be an
integrated part of GTK+ 1.4/2.0 (thus forcing GNOME to be installed to utilize it is
like forcing GNOME to be installed to utilize Imlib).
Also, I'm unsure what the headaches you forsee are. Were not
the USE_GNOME, HAVE_GNOME, WITH_GNOME make directives committed to eliminate
headaches (and deal with situations like this)? A person would have a hard time
messing up dependancies and causing themselves problems, since one must now
currently define WITHOUT_GNOME to prevent any optionally dependant port from
building GNOME.
My final point is, that not all people out there like and/or utilize the GNOME
crap, and I think our ports collection should be flexible enough to please
everybody, not just the GNOME majority.

Jeremy