Date:      Fri, 04 Apr 2008 19:54:08 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Frank_Wi=DFmann?= <frank.wissmann41@web.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Solved partly (was: Problem starting X as user)

Frank Wißmann wrote:
> Hi all!
> Hope there's somebody out there who can help me with the following problem:
> When I type "startx" as root all is coming up as expected, the X-Server
> and twm as WM. When I stop it, log in as a normal user and do the same
> there is only a grey screen with a mouse-cursor coming up and doing
> nothing until I kill the X-Server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. On the
> original screen from which I tried to start is shown the following error
> message:
>
> AUDIT: Thu Apr 3 20:34:48 2008 836 X: client 1 rejected from localhost
> (uid 1001)
> Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
> Xlib: connection to "0:0" refused by server
> Xlib: Protocol not supported by server
>
> .xinitrc and .xsession both have the same contens "exec startxfce4" and
> the permissions "rwxr-xr-x".
>
> Any thoughts please?
>
> TIA Frank

To your information:

I just tried out of despair something weird and started my X-Server by
the /etc/ttys-file and a reboot. Logging iin as root worked as it did
before but to my astonishment it worked logging in as a user too. So I
now have a working Xfce environment on my other machine too. There is no
need to think about it anymore. I'm just curious why it didn't work the
other way round.
So, happy weekend for all of you and a big "Thank you" to all who let
work their mind to help me.

Greetings Frank