Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 21:10:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Thomas Schuerger <schuerge@wjpserver.CS.Uni-SB.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libstdc++ undefined symbols

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Thomas Schuerger wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm having compilation problems with a few of the ports. Compilation
> aborts with the following error message:
>
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.3: Undefined symbol "_vt$9exception"
>
> I have FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE installed for two weeks now. Before that,
> compilation worked fine. Candidates for this error are e.g. net/licq and
> x11/kd2. Any ideas?

It's due to a change in the method that the g++ compiler codes up
exception handling.  You're going to have to relink (I guess that really
means recompile and reinstall) all of your C++ libraries.

That exception method coding, it's changed twice in the last year, and
each time you had to recompile your C++ libs.  PITA.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.