Date:      Sat, 05 Dec 1998 22:04:46 -0600
From:      Patrick Hartling <mystify@friley-184-92.res.iastate.edu>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where is pthread_cancel()?

John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au> wrote:

} Patrick Hartling wrote:
} > I'm attempting to port a multithreaded library from IRIX to FreeBSD-current,
} > and I was wondering why there is no pthread_cancel() in libc_r.  I am not up
} > on the full Pthreads Draft 10 standard, but I thought pthread_cancel() was
} > part of it.  Am I mistaken?  Should I just use pthread_kill() and not worry
} > about this?  Thanks.
}
} I checked the standard after the recent discussion about pthread_cancel() and
} it's not optional, so the fact that it's not in libc_r is a bug. I think
} the result of the discussion was that someone would be working on it
} soon (having done some work already). pthread_kill() isn't really a
} substitute because that just dispatches a signal to the thread.

I didn't think so, and it's not being used that way in the library in
question.  I was thinking that it could just be a temporary substitute if in
fact the absence of pthread_cancel() was a bug.

} Check the mail archives for a more detailed answer.

Okay, I will do that.  Thanks a bunch.

 -Patrick

Patrick L. Hartling			| Research Assistant, ICEMT
mystify@friley-184-92.res.iastate.edu	| Carver Lab - 95E Black Engineering
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~oz/	| http://www.icemt.iastate.edu/