Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2018 23:33:15 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: When does a newly committed port become installable via 'pkg'?

--G74lMqxt33KCoE6CZlj7CfQAufuXnf4LW
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-ports@freebsd.org

--PfEZ9Eks1lcUFAXDvKSvJ9gtrrKRpl8vV

On 28/01/2018 20:14, James E Keenan wrote:
> Earlier today (about 0910 EST), thanks to Po-Chuan Hsieh, a new port I
> had created was committed to the repository.=C2=A0 It was very quickly
> visible at these locations:
>=20
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/devel/p5-CPAN-Testers-Common-Clie=
nt/
> https://www.freshports.org/devel/p5-CPAN-Testers-Common-Client/
>=20
> ... and it has since become visible here as well:
>=20
> https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=3Dp5-CPAN-Testers-Common-Cl=
ient&stype=3Dall&sektion=3Dall
>=20
>=20
> However, when I try to install that package onto my system (a VM runnin=
> FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE), I continue -- six hours later -- to get messages=

> saying that the package cannot be located.
>=20
> #####
> $> sudo pkg update
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> FreeBSD repository is up to date.
> All repositories are up to date.
>=20
> $> sudo pkg install p5-CPAN-Testers-Common-Client
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> FreeBSD repository is up to date.
> All repositories are up to date.
> pkg: No packages available to install matching
> 'p5-CPAN-Testers-Common-Client' have been found in the repositories
> #####
>=20
> What am I not understanding about this process?
>=20

It takes 1 to 2 days to do a build job for the entire ports tree.  So
try again tomorrow, or failing that, the day after.

Also, be sure you're using the _latest_ ports, and not the _quarterly_
branch, or else you'ld have to wait until the end of March and the next
quarterly branch to see the new port in the repository.

	Cheers,

	Matthew