Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 2002 14:03:51 -0400
From:      "Michael H. Semcheski" <mhs-list@aylix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: advise on gateway-setup

>Ok. After this little self promo its time for my questions.
>The building I live in has 200+ apartments which in near future will
>share an (I hope) powerful internet connection. Now I was put in-charge
>of selecting the equipment to preform firewalling and gateway.
>What I like it to do is firewalling and some sort of natted intranet
>with bandwidth management. My question is. How powerful should the
>gateway/firewall be? I am thinking about CPU and RAM and hardware en
>general. Also I would be glad to get pointers on where to read for
>setting up this..ofcause I will start whit the handbook right about here

Get a Pentium III with 512m of RAM and Intel ethernet cards.  Get SCSI
disks.  You might look at a dell poweredge server.  It probably does not
have to be the top of the line, but if you are going to get a real
highbandwidth connection to the net, you're probably going to be paying
a lot more per month in bandwidth than you will on hardware.  The last
thing you want is a disk to go down.

Realize that you are about to undertake a serious project, and don't
skimp on the initial hardware.  Its a drop in the bucket in the long
term (even if it doesn't seem that way now.)  Rackmount is good, because
physical space can be pretty expensive.

Don't get the cheapest thing you can find, because you really want to
put off upgrading it as long as possible. (even if the upgrade is to
replace a burned out fan)

Mike