Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 09:11:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Poss bug in /bin/sh?

While working on making lsh work under FreeBSD, I encountered this
problem:

cat >> confdefs.h <<EOF
#define PTY_BSD_SCHEME_FIRST_CHARS "`ls /dev/pty* | cut -c 9-9 | uniq | tr -d '\n'`"
EOF

cat >> confdefs.h <<EOF
#define PTY_BSD_SCHEME_SECOND_CHARS "`ls /dev/pty* | cut -c 10-10 | sort | uniq | tr -d '\n'`"
EOF

Neither of these output what I'd expect, and the second outputs the error

  sort: read error: Bad file descriptor

running the same under bash produces the desired output. What's wrong
here?  Yes, this is part of the configure script, if it looks strange,
though with my limited shell knowledge, I'd still expect it to work.